Why Mercury Fillings Are Toxic: The Facts
Despite clear evidence from around the world, amalgam is still the filling material of choice for many dentists. The government requires special handling of mercury because it has been linked to birth defects, autoimmune illnesses, and neurological illnesses including depression. Mercury can cross the blood-brain and placenta barriers. Startling new research has linked the presence of mercury in the brain to one of the major structural markers in Alzheimer’s disease.
Here are some fast facts about toxic mercury and amalgam fillings:
- Mercury is the most toxic non-radioactive element on Earth.
- A silver-colored mercury amalgam filling normally contains 52 percent mercury.
- On average, an amalgam filling weighs one gram and contains half a gram of mercury.
- The typical adult carries 10 amalgam fillings containing about five grams of mercury.
- Half a gram of mercury in a 10-acre lake would warrant the issuance of a fish advisory for the lake.
- Running shoes with mercury lights in their heels were banned by the Minnesota Legislature in 1994 because they contained half a gram of mercury in them and this was considered dangerous to public health.
- Germany, Austria, Denmark, and Sweden ban the use of mercury amalgam fillings in pregnant women and children and complete bans are scheduled to be phased in.
- The state of California requires this warning in all dental offices with a staff of 10 or more that use mercury amalgam fillings. “The people of the state of California have determined that the use of dental amalgam causes birth defects and other health problems.”
- Legislation is now being proposed in Minnesota for a similar “Informed Consent” law to protect all patients.
Amalgam Filling Removal
Here at Julian Center for Toxic-Free Dentistry, we can often remove toxic mercury fillings and replace them with our own metal-free fillings. Removing your mercury fillings can improve your overall health, and you may notice that you have fewer health complaints overall.
In a study in Norway, dentists removed mercury fillings from patients suffering from a variety of health complaints. This included fatigue, headaches, muscle pain, lack of concentration, and memory problems. The researchers followed up with the patients after three months, one year, and three years, noticing a significant reduction in their health issues.
Toxic-Free Fillings at Julian Center for Toxic-Free Dentistry
Are you interested in learning more about our toxic-free fillings? Call our Ellicott City office at (410) 964-2865 to set up a consultation today.